Mr. Chiaia concentrates on corporate and commercial law, with particular experience in insurance and corporate finance. He advises on all aspects of the laws and regulations relating to Italian financial markets, including public tender bids, private placements, debt financing and offering circulars.
Mr. Chiaia's experience also includes corporate and financial restructuring, financial derivatives (including insurance products), M&A transactions and joint ventures, regulatory compliance for listed companies, venture capital transactions and corporate litigation.
Before joining SJ Berwin LLP, Mr. Chiaia was a partner at White & Case and before that, he was a partner in other Italian and international firms.
He specialized in Corporate Finance at the Amsterdam Institute of Finance in 1996 and in Privatization, Regulatory Reform & Corporate Governance at the Harvard Institute for International Development in 1998.
Academic activities and publications:
As a teaching assistant at the Commercial Law Institute of the
Milan from April 1990, Mr. Chiaia ran specialized seminars in corporate, banking and financial law.
From academic year 1997-1998 to academic year 2003-2004 Mr. Chiaia was a lecturer in Elements of Corporate Finance (law lessons) and Financial Markets at the master courses of the Independent University Institute C. Cattaneo of Castellanza.
Mr. Chiaia has also been a member (for private law counseling) of the Comitato di Fiscalità Finanziaria (CFF) (Financial Taxation Committee) organized jointly by the Bocconi University of Milan and
ABI - Associazione Bancaria Italiana (Italian Bankers Association) at the Centro Ricerche Tributarie dell'lmpresa (CERTI) (Centre of Fiscal Researches for Enterprises) of the same University.
In the academic year 2005-2006 Mr. Chiaia was a lecturer of Foundation of Law at the master course in relations between the
Eastern Europe countries and
China of the
Mr. Chiaia has published the following contributions in law reviews:
· I nuovi modelli per la comunicazione di partecipazioni rilevanti. Le novità. In Giur. comm., 1991, I, pag. 381 ss.;
· Le partecipazioni rilevanti in società quotate o ammesse al mercato ristretto. Novità legislative e regolamentari. In Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 1993, I, pag. 280 ss.;
· Trasferimento di partecipazione azionaria rilevante ed obblighi di informazione al pubblico in relazione alla normativa sull’insider trading. In Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 1993, I, pag. 625 ss.;
· Problemi critici dell’accollo di credito fondiario e riflessi nel bilancio d’esercizio dell’impresa costruttrice. In Rivista del Notariato, 2005, I, pag. 1 ss.;
· Strumenti finanziari a debito e usura. In La Nuova Giurisprudenza Civile Commentata, 2005, II, pag. 224 ss.
Mr. Chiaia is also co-author of the book “Crisi, ristrutturazione e rilancio dell’impresa” (Crisis, Restructuring and Restart of the business),