SJ Berwin opens in Shanghai
Private Equity Team of the Year SJ Berwin LLP has advised long term client Graphite Capital, the leading UK mid-market private equity specialist, on the £95 million management buyout of Kurt Geiger, Europe's foremost luxury branded shoe retailer, from Barclays Private Equity.
Kurt Geiger, which was voted 'Coolest Shoe Brand' by Vogue readers in 2007, sells its own and third party premium and luxury footwear brands such as Prada, Gucci and Jimmy Choo, through a wide range of channels. Barclays were advised by Travers Smith and management were advised by Addleshaw Goddard.
The SJ Berwin team was led by Corporate partners Martin Bowen and Richard Lever, assisted by Corporate associates Corrine Campbell, Leanne Hill and Sarah Mathis. Banking partner Raji Bartlett and associate Brendan Davies advised on the acquisition finance. SJ Berwin, under client relationship partner, Martin Bowen, has previously advised Graphite Capital on the sale of Golden Tulip hotels, the MBO/MBI of Micheldever Tyre Service PLC, the sale of Jane Norman Limited, the MBO/MBI of Sk:n and the buyout of the InnBrighton pubs and clubs group.
This is the second retail deal that the Private Equity Team at SJ Berwin has closed in the last week, after advising the management team of sandwich chain Prêt a Manger on its sale to Bridgepoint Capital, led by partners Steven Davis and Rob Day.
For further information please contact:
Martin Bowen, Corporate Partner on 0207 111 2229 or by emailing email@example.com
Business Development Manager on 020 7111 5074
To view other press releases click here.
- With more than 200 corporate finance lawyers, the depth and breadth of expertise of our pan-European Corporate Finance Department is considerable. We offer the complete range of corporate finance services, which extends to all aspects of domestic and cross-border M&A and buy-outs, private equity, equity capital markets, financial services and tax.
- SJ Berwin was created and thrives as a leading-edge legal services business, focusing on the European and international market place. Our clients are sophisticated buyers of legal services, principally entrepreneurial companies and financial institutions, whom we advise on a comprehensive range of services including Corporate, Commercial, Real Estate, Finance, Reconstruction & Insolvency, Financial Services, Litigation, Employment & Pensions, EU & Competition and Tax.
- The private equity team has won a number of recent awards including:
- “Corporate Team of the Year - Mid Market" at The Lawyer Awards 2007
- “UK Firm of the Year” at the Global Chambers Awards 2007
- “Private Equity Team of the Year” Financial News Legal Awards 2007
- “Fund Formation Team of the Year” 2006 at the Financial News Awards for Excellence in Private Equity Advisory Services,
- “European Law Firm of the Year" 2004 - 2006 at the EVCA/Real Deals European Private Equity Awards,
- ”European Law Firm of the Year" (fund formation) 2001 - 2007 by subscribers to PrivateEquityOnline and Private Equity International
- "Private Equity Law Firm of the Year" 2004 - 2007 at the European Venture Capital journal awards 2004
- "LBO Firm of the Year" 2004 at the Finance and Law Awards in Paris
- On 1 June 2005, SJ Berwin became SJ Berwin LLP, a limited liability partnership. www.sjberwin.com. SJ Berwin LLP or an affiliated undertaking has an office in Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Paris and Turin.