"SJ Berwin is particularly noted for its excellent private equity work" (Chambers).
With one of the largest dedicated international private equity teams, we offer the full range of private equity services, both in connection with the establishment of private equity funds and their associated incentive schemes, and on management buyouts, management buy-ins, public-to-privates and venture capital investments.
Acting for management teams and small independent fund managers, as well as some of the largest institutional investors, the range and depth of our experience is unique. Our exposure in the private market is considerable and we handle a wide range of domestic and cross-border buyouts.
We advise private equity institutions on a wide range of matters including:
- limited partnership funds
- private equity, real estate, infrastructure, mezzanine and other alternative investment funds
- venture capital trusts, investment trusts and co-investment schemes
- equity incentive and carried interest arrangements
- secondary funds, funds of funds and secondary transactions
- buy-outs of buy-out houses, reorganisations and spin outs
- corporate governance and transaction structuring
The team is heavily involved with industry bodies, including the Spanish Private Equity Association (ASCRI) as well as the British Venture Capital Association and the European Private Equity and Venture Capital Association. It also publishes weekly email bulletins and has a highly active seminar programme across its international offices and issues regular newsletters.
- Law Firm of the Year 2010 (Fund Formation) Private Equity International
- European Law Firm of the Year (Fund Formation) Private Equity International 2009 Awards
- Corporate Team of the Year - The Lawyer Awards 2010
- Law Firm of the Year – BVCA/Real Deals Private Equity Awards 2010
- LBO Law Firm of the Year - Fifth annual ‘Grands Prix’ awards - Private Equity Magazine 2010